We've had a handful of customers ask us about vaping CBD and we're super excited to provide our knowledge and expertise. Remember CBD, or cannabidiol, is a cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant. CBD and other cannabinoids interact with the human body's endocannabinoid system to help maintain homeostasis.
CBD products contain minimal amounts of the psychoactive cannabinoid THC. Unlike THC, CBD does not get you high.
Some states, however, do not permit CBD products, refer to our CBD state laws article to see if CBD is allowed in your state.
We've noticed that many of our customers are mistaking CBD oil tinctures for CBD vape juice. We don't blame them. After all, both tinctures and vape juice are often packaged in nearly identical glass dropper bottles. Also, some companies are adding to the confusion by saying you can vape CBD tinctures.
Let's set the record straight. Stop vaping CBD oil tinctures! While they look the same and have the same consistency, vape juice is meant to be vaped and tinctures are meant to be taken sublingually. This article will help you distinguish the two. It will also tell you everything you need to know about vaping CBD and show you how to get started.
CBD oil is not CBD vape juice
CBD hemp oil was the most popular method of ingesting CBD, but now there is a variety of different CBD products thus giving people more options on how to take CBD. The various CBD products can confuse people on how to use/take them properly.
One of the newest forms to take CBD is by vaping it. CBD vape juice looks eerily similar to CBD oil, but it is important to know that these two are not the same. They can provide you with the same benefits, but there are key differences.
CBD vape juice and CBD oil tinctures are often mistaken for one another. You CANNOT vape CBD oil tinctures. It is very important to understand that distinction.
What's the difference between the two?
CBD oil tinctures are designed to be taken sublingually or under the tongue. They are made by extracting CBD from the hemp plant using CO2 and diluted with a carrier oil like hemp seed, coconut, or olive. They can also include other ingredients for added flavor.
CBD oils are easily digestible and are taken by dropping 0.5ml or more under the tongue and then swallowing after one minute. Tinctures can either contain full-spectrum CBD or CBD isolate. CBD isolate is simply cannabidiol that is free from the other cannabinoids. Our full spectrum CBD versus CBD isolate article explains the difference between the two.
CBD oil tincture ingredients
- carrier oil like olive, hemp seed, or coconut oil
- Added CBD isolate or full-spectrum CBD
- Natural flavorings
CBD vape oil or vape juice are specifically designed to be used with a vaporizer or a CBD vape pen. CBD e-liquid is usually made with a thinning agent to help the liquid flow through the vape pen. So instead of the CBD being mixed with oil, it is mixed with propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and natural flavoring for added flavor.
CBD vape oil ingredients
- Vegetable glycerin (VG) / propene glycol (PG)
- Usually CBD isolate
- Natural flavorings
Vaping CBD provides the same benefits as taking CBD oil orally, but the effects of CBD are felt instantly when vaping opposed to taking it orally. The main differences between the two products are how they're made, how they're taken, and how fast the body absorbs CBD.
Vaping CBD has a 40-50% bioavailability. This is the amount of CBD than can enter your bloodstream. This means your body absorbs 40-50% of CBD when vaped. Alternatively, tinctures have a bioavailability of 20-30%.
Stick to CBD vape juice for vaping
Vaping CBD oil will not be enjoyable because the tincture was not created to be vaporized. Their recipes are specifically meant to be taken sublingually and the tincture will probably not burn as well.
If your CBD oil doesn't have the proper amount of thinning agents like PG/VG or MCT, then it will likely ruin your coil set up and burn in an unfavorable way.
blockquote It's very possible that your tincture contains MCT as an ingredient. Just because it has MCT, it does not mean you should vape it. The CBD tincture needs to contain the proper ratios of MCT and if it was not created for vaping then it probably does not. The best CBD vape juices use PG/VG as their base. These juices vape much smoother than MCT based juices.
How to check if my CBD product is vapable
It's important to make sure your vape juice has a thinning agent such as PG/VG or MCT. This will ensure it turns into vapor when heated up. Most tinctures are not designed to be vaped and should only be taken orally.
Follow this checklist to make sure you are not vaping a tincture
- Review the packaging. If you see the word 'tincture', it likely is not vape juice
- Check the directions. If it suggests taking orally under the tongue, it is likely not a vape juice.
- Check the ingredients. If it has added Vitamin E, Omega-3, or Omega-6, it is likely a tincture and not a vape juice. Vape juices
Different types of CBD vape products
Before you can start vaping CBD, you first need to understand how to vape CBD oil or rather what to vape CBD oil with. There are some devices that are easier than others, but other than that vaping CBD is simple! Here is a list of different devices that are used to vape CBD oil:
- Disposable CBD vape pens: Disposable vapes are the easiest device to use when getting into vaping CBD. These pens are powered by a built-in coil and battery and are pre-filled with CBD vape juice. After a few hundred puffs you can just dispose of them. Disposable CBD vape pens are inexpensive and great for beginners and for people who aren't sure how much CBD they need to vape.
- CBD oil cartridges: These are similar to disposable CBD vape pens. CBD oil cartridges are vape tanks that are pre-filled with CBD vape juice or CBD distillate. CBD oil cartridges can hold around 0.5 mL to 1 mL of e-juice. Unlike the disposable vape pens, they do not come with the device/e-cig battery. So you will need a device compatible with a standard 510 cartridge.
- CBD pods: These are a more modern twist on the CBD oil cartridges. Pods are pre-filled cartridges that are compatible with a pod device. These are ultra-low wattage devices similar to JUUL. At Urbul we carry our own brand of CBD vape pods (not JUUL compatible). Each pod contains 250mg of CBD and comes in 4 flavors. They are only compatible with our Urbul Device.
- Refillable CBD vape pens: These are geared towards people who are familiar with vape products. These require a rechargeable vape pen and a vape tank with an internal coil. Refillable CBD vape pens are perfect for people who want to use a CBD vape juice of their choice. Refillable pens produce more vapor and flavor than disposables, but they do require basic maintenance like changing the coil and keeping the tank clean.
These are all great devices that can be used to vape CBD. Each device is different, so to learn how to use them read the user manual that came with the device to make sure that you're using it properly.
How to begin vaping CBD
Once you can differentiate CBD oil tinctures from CBD vape juice, vaping CBD is a pretty simple and straightforward process. Follow our quick checklist to get started. If you're vaping for the first time, check out our in-depth article about proper CBD dosage.
- Use our dosage calculator to figure out how much CBD you need per day.
- Find a compatible vape device that is made to work with CBD vape juice. We sell potent CBD vape starter kits if interested.
- Begin taking a few hits at a time. CBD enters your bloodstream quickly when vaped. We recommend taking a few hits and seeing how you feel. Take more hits as needed and scale up slowly.
- Continue to vape as needed. Vaping CBD allows you to continually add more CBD into your body at any time.
- Remember to vape slowly and really listen to your body. Vaping too much CBD may lead to short term side effects such as dry mouth, dizziness, drowsiness, or nausea.
How to use CBD vape devices
Each device is different, so it's important to read the instruction manual for the specific device you choose to vape CBD with. Disposable CBD vape pens are the simplest devices to use, they do not require any preparation. They are draw-activated so all you need to do is inhale.
For those unfamiliar with vaping, we are going to give you the basic information on how to use refillable vape pens, cartridges, and pods to help you get started using CBD vape products!
- CBD oil cartridge: To use a pre-filled CBD tank all you need is a vaporizer with a 510 connection. Connect the cartridge to your 510 battery. Click the power button 5 times to turn the device on (this varies on the device). Start slow, take a few puffs, and work your way up to your optimal dosage.
- CBD pods: If you are using a pod system, like the Urbul device, all you have to do is connect the CBD pod to the device. Our device is draw activated, as most pods are, so all you have to do is inhale. Start slow, take a few puffs, and work your way up to your optimal dosage.
- CBD vape pens: Grab your tank and vape device and connect them. Fill your vape tank with the CBD e-juice of your choice. Allow the vape juice to saturate the pre-installed coil for 5-10 minutes. Turn your device on, dial in your preferred vape settings, and press the fire button while inhaling. Start slow, take a few puffs, and work your way up to your optimal dosage.
Frequently Asked questions
Can you vape CBD oil?
Yes, you can vape CBD oil if it is a vape juice made with a thinning agent like PG/VG.
You should not vape CBD tinctures/oils that are made with MCT oil or other oils.
Can you mix CBD hemp oil with vape juice?
No, do not mix CBD oil with vape juice. It will not mix easily since you are using mixing an oil base with an alcohol base (PG/VG). We suggest purchasing a vape juice that already contains CBD or a disposable CBD vape pen.
How to make CBD vape oil
This recipe creates a 10ml 500mg CBD vape juice. It has a 60/40 VG/PG ratio and is optimized for vaping.
Ingredients needed to make CBD vape oil:
- 2ml Propene Glycol (PG)
- 8ml Vegetable Glycerin (VG)
- 500mg CBD isolate powder
- flavorings of choice
Tools needed to make CBD vape oil:
- Sealable bottle
- Cup of warm water
Steps to make CBD vape oil:
- Pour 4 ml PG into the beaker.
- Slowly add 500mg CBD isolate into the beaker.
- Pour beaker into a sealable bottle. Seal the bottle and begin shaking until contents are mixed well.
- Place the sealed bottle in a cup of warm water for a few minutes. This helps the CBD powder break and mix.
- Shake again until extract is fully dissolved into the propene glycol.
- Add 6 ml of VG and shake again.
- Add flavoring or terpenes of choice. Let sit for 10 minutes then enjoy!
How to mix CBD oil with vape juice
If you have existing vape juice that you wish to add CBD to, we will explain how to. First off, do not add CBD tinctures to CBD vape juice. Again, CBD tinctures were not made to be vaped and will probably taste awful if burnt. If you wish to add CBD, we suggest picking up some CBD isolate powder.
Ingredients needed for mixing CBD oil with vape juice:
- 30ml Vape juice
- CBD isolate powder
Tools needed to mix CBD oil with vape juice:
- Cup of warm water
Steps to add CBD isolate powder to vape juice:
- Measure out 500mg of CBD isolate powder on a scale
- Heat up vape juice by placing the sealed bottle in a cup of warm water for 3-5 minutes. Heating up the vape juice will help it mix in with the CBD powder. We do not recommend microwaving your vape juice.
- Pour vape juice into the beaker.
- Immediately add CBD isolate powder to the beaker and stir vigorously.
- Stir until fully mixed. Let steep for at least 10 minutes. Enjoy!